Translate

Wednesday 5 March 2014

Facebook scam unveiled by my curiosity



Hello to you my dear readers. Lately I have been following up a facebook scam of which my curiosity  orchestrated the truth. Moreover, a faithful meeting to someone today 5th of Ferbruary 2014, dotted the Is and crossed the Ts in my investigation. 

Here is how the scenario goes: On February 18th, 5:43pm precisely, an account named Okawa Shaznay, send me a message via facebook inbox. Of course I am well acquainted with the real her. Infact, our acquintance was well cemented during my interview with her at the SONNAH awards 2013. Meaning I was in "confiance" with  whom I was conversing with at least during the first instances. 

Conversation was as follows: 

She told me how I could sell movies if featured in any and how I had a pretty face to be a actress. She mentioned a movie she was currently tarring in, she named it (Princess Tibata) and concluded she will like me to be in it as well. She added precisely she was shooting this week and wanted me to come to the shooting scene to see and learn more about acting. At this point conversation is going really good and I am not doubting this is really Shaznay.


She further said I think you should take up acting as a new career, I said really? do you think I could ever act or even be a good actress? she replied yes. To and fro in the conversation, I said ok no problem I will think about it . Then at this point she says, well I if you want to be in Nollywood you need to register first with the ACN (don't ask me what is but she said it is the Actor Gongress of Nigeria). She added, by registering here you can get paid without exploitation; to further convince me she says you can get paid $5000 to $6500 per movie, but if you are not registered you may get paid as less: as $1000 to $2000 per movie. At this point I am still not doubting a thing still....

Keeping into the conversation, she says to register you need a form; I then enthusiastically said ok..so where can the form be gotten if I ever want to? she says Rachel has it and it cost $200; insistin can you afford it?, immediately adding, are you ready to pay for it, the closing date is the following week Tusday.

HMMMMMMM!!!!! THIS IS WHERE I BEGIN TO WONDER, AND DOUBT SETS IN..... so I go to google and type ACN, no result comes up, I also define the abbreviation still no result. I maintain my silence at this point but still conversing. I then get into that profile, looking at the photos, I am stroked with the kind of pictures, I remember Shaznay is a very reserve girl who doesnot boast about the movies she has acted in, in-fact not in that manner by showing detailed pictures while on set. 

Pretending I am still interested, I say, how do I get the payment details and what method of payment  is needed here? 

This is where I get all the details needed. ****I made no payment by the deadline given***. As a result, I get a call from Rachel herself on my mobile; since I gave it to Shaznay during the conversation. Rachel tries to precipitate me to pay,  I reply to her saying I don't have money at this point but will pay during the next coming week. As the conversation evolved, she gave me Shaznay's number to call  when I have completely feeled the form and ready to pay. Wisely I saved the Rachel number. 

OMG Thanks to God for WhatsApp on my phone. Later that day, when going through my WhatsApp contacts I find this Rachel on it, but this is suppose to be a lady, guess what it is? a male photo on her profile (photo will be attached soon). I say well maybe it is her son's picture or boyfriend ***wink***.

On Sunday, which has past, I get a call from Shaznay, which is the number Rachel gave me, WTF..!!, it is Rachel voice, I ask who is this ? she says it is Shaznay, saying Rachel has asked her to tell me to pay half of the registration fee if I dont have the complete money, that I could pay the rest later. Hmmmmm alarming! how kind huhhh!!,. Because the voice is so similar with Rachel, I dare ask again is this Shaznay? the person replies yes it is Shaznay and asking me to call Rachel. I said to myself, the Shaznay I have interviewed dont sound anything like this..! again a confirmation that I am being scammed... 

Today Wednesday the 5th/03/2014, in Douala, Cameroon, I had the pleasure of  meeting two people, but during my meeting with one of them, his phone rang, a picture accompanied the call on the screen. I said to myself, does that person not look like the picture on Rachel's WhatsApp profile ? I take a quick look again, and yes I can say I am 90% sure the pictures look similar. 

My advice to anyone unlucky: 

So here is my advice to anyone, especially Cameroonians, do not trust anyone in the industry (I don't care how many toes I am stepping on here, but If I am, I challenge who ever is daring to take their fight towards me now). Many use their past glories to deceive others. I know only of few to trust and believe me they are less active on virtual spaces. Not everyone will be smart or lucky as I was, as such, will fall into such scams easily, please be careful and keep your "6eme sense" working at all times especially when on virtual spaces.......

Important note: 

This facebook page:  Okawa Shaznay was fake and has been deleted or I have been blocked from it, (I can no longer see the conversation, only my responses are visible to me). So, if whoever on Facebook can still see a page named Okawa Shaznay, please make sure it is her before conversing.

Thank you for reading....

No comments:

HIGHLY RATED POST/WEEK

Religion vs. Spiritualité : Une Exploration Profonde de Deux Chemins Vers le Divin

  Dans notre monde moderne en perpétuelle évolution, de plus en plus de personnes se posent des questions sur la différence entre la religio...

THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING AND HOPE YOU ENJOY FUTURE POSTS.